I offer presentations on family history topics, issues relevant to marketing and entrepreneurship, and a blend of all of the above for genealogy businesses and societies. For one-on-one or small groups consultations, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speaker rate: $200 for a 60-90 minute presentation with Q&A.
I can usually present without charge if your society or family history group is interested in a presentation about my genealogy system, Family Tree Notebooks.
60-90 Minute Presentations
Archiving Social Media
- As our lives become increasingly intertwined with online platforms, it's crucial to understand the importance of preserving this valuable digital heritage. During this presentation, we will explore the challenges and strategies involved in archiving social media content, both from an individual and organizational perspective. Attendees will leave with a comprehensive understanding of the challenges, strategies, legal concerns, and opportunities involved in saving social media legacies.
Using Social Media for Genealogy Research
- In this digital age, social media has emerged as a valuable resource for connecting with fellow researchers, accessing historical records, and uncovering hidden family ties. During this presentation, we will explore the diverse ways in which social media can revolutionize your genealogy journey. From tapping into online communities to leveraging platform-specific features, we will provide practical tips and strategies to make the most of these digital tools.
Using Social Media to Market Your Genealogy Society or Business
- Discover the immense potential of social media as a powerful marketing tool for promoting your genealogy society or business. Join us as we explore effective strategies, best practices, and practical tips for leveraging social media platforms to reach and engage your target audience. From genealogy societies seeking to attract new members to businesses aiming to grow their client base, this presentation is tailored to help you harness the marketing power of social media to achieve your goals.
Organizing Non-Traditional Parent Relationships on the Family Tree
- In an ever-changing and diverse world, it is essential to adapt our genealogical practices to reflect the evolving nature of family structures and relationships. This presentation explores the challenges and strategies involved in representing non-traditional parent relationships on the family tree, including relationships created by adoption, remarriage, plural marriage, and genetic donation. We will delve into the importance of embracing diversity, inclusivity, and understanding the nuances of different family dynamics.
Archiving Video Files for Family History
- Videos capture cherished memories, stories, and experiences in a dynamic and captivating way, and it is crucial to preserve them for future generations. During this presentation, we will delve into the process of archiving and preserving film, VHS, DVD, and video files to ensure their longevity and accessibility. We will explore practical strategies, techniques, and tools that will empower you to safeguard your family's precious videos and pass them down through the generations.
Editing and Sharing Video Files for Family History
- Videos are a vibrant medium that can breathe life into your family's stories, and learning how to edit and share them effectively will elevate your family history projects to new heights. During this presentation, we will explore the art of editing video files to create compelling narratives that capture the essence of your family's history. We will also delve into various methods of sharing these edited videos to engage and connect with your loved ones, both present and future.
6 Ways to Use Video for Your Genealogy Society or Business
- During this presentation, we will delve into six distinct strategies that leverage the power of video to enhance your genealogy society or business. From educational content to promotional campaigns, you will discover how video can elevate your online presence and captivate your target audience. We will kick off the session by discussing the importance of visual storytelling in the genealogy field. Learn how video content can breathe life into historical narratives, personal stories, and research findings, fostering a deeper connection with your audience and sparking their interest in genealogy.
- During this presentation, we will delve into the multifaceted nature of cemetery photography and its role in preserving memories and unearthing history. Whether you're an amateur photographer, a history enthusiast, or a genealogist, this session will provide valuable insights and practical tips to enhance your cemetery photography endeavors.Understand the importance of composition, lighting, and angles to evoke emotion and convey the essence of the site and gain insights into photographing tombstones with sensitivity, capturing the intricate details, inscriptions, and artistic elements that make each memorial unique. Explore methods for deciphering weathered or illegible inscriptions, ensuring accurate documentation for genealogical research. We will also discuss the ethical aspects of cemetery photography, including respect for privacy, cultural sensitivities, and permission for photographing private or restricted areas.
Three Chinese Women in America
- This presentation explores three of the Chinese women in my family tree. All lived in California but had remarkably different stories which called for a diverse toolkit of research strategies. This talk focuses heavily on discovering the life stories of minority women traditionally overlooked by history.
Case Study: Using Locality Research to Fill in the Gaps on an Underdocumented Population
- China Camp State Park, located in San Rafael, California, is a popular tourist attraction and the ancestral home of a large part of my family. Although my Chinese ancestors were often misnamed or overlooked in historical records, researching the camp itself led me to uncover crucial details about my family's past.
Email is Everything: Growing and Monetizing Your Newsletter
You don't truly own your social media accounts but you own your email list! Dive into the world of email marketing and discover how to effectively grow and monetize your newsletter. During this presentation, we will explore proven strategies, practical tips, and industry best practices for maximizing the potential of your newsletter.
Everything is Content: Effective Social Media Posts
- Explore the art of creating effective social media posts that captivate your audience and drive engagement. In today's digital landscape, where attention spans are short and content is abundant, mastering the art of crafting impactful social media posts is essential to stand out and achieve your marketing goals. During this presentation, we will delve into the key principles, strategies, and techniques that will help you create compelling social media content across various platforms.
Short Videos: How to Make Them, How to Use Them, and Where to Put Them
- In today's fast-paced digital landscape, short videos have emerged as a powerful and engaging medium to capture attention, convey messages, and connect with your audience. During this presentation, we will delve into the key principles, strategies, and techniques for making, utilizing, and distributing impactful short videos. Real-life examples, case studies, and best practices from successful short video campaigns will be shared to inspire and illustrate effective video creation and distribution.
Workshops (2-3 Hours)
Planning a Year's Worth of Social Media Content in One Weekend
- Stop posting blindly to social media! We will dive deep into the key principles and practical steps involved in planning an entire year's worth of social media content in a focused and efficient manner. Discover how to create a comprehensive editorial calendar that outlines your content plan for the entire year. Practice effective techniques for organizing content themes, topics, and key dates, allowing for strategic and consistent messaging. Explore batch content creation techniques to streamline your workflow and save time. Learn how to utilize analytics to refine your approach, understand audience preferences, and optimize your content for maximum impact.
Centralizing Your Online and Offline Family History Files So You Stop Losing Things
- Say goodbye to the frustration of misplaced documents and scattered digital files, and learn how to create a centralized system that ensures you never lose valuable information again. We will explore the importance of centralizing your family history files and provide practical strategies and tools to help you streamline your organization process. Whether you're a novice researcher or a seasoned genealogist, this workshop will equip you with the knowledge and techniques to effectively manage and access your family history files.
The Step-By-Step Guide to Getting Your Genealogy Society or Business Started on Social Media
- Jump into the key principles and actionable steps involved in launching your genealogy society or business on social media. Whether you're a society looking to connect with members or a business seeking to expand your reach and attract clients, this workshop will equip you with the knowledge and skills to establish a strong presence on social media platforms and effectively engage with your target audience.